The Many Benefits of Orthotics
One of the most important aspects of foot care is prevention of foot and ankle problems from happening in the first place. While the importance of regular foot inspections, proper shoes, and strength and flexibility exercises can’t be overemphasized, another excellent way to ensure the health of your feet and ankles to use orthotic inserts. These can be used to add more support and to treat a variety of foot problems by correcting problems and imbalances with foot structure.
Custom orthotic inserts can help with:
- Pain relief—The extra cushioning can help relieve the pain from many conditions including corns, calluses, and arch conditions like plantar fasciitis.
- Ankle stabilization—Special inserts that help with balance and ankle wobbling can be instrumental in preventing falls in the elderly and diabetic patients.
- Avoiding surgery—Proper use of orthotics by a skilled podiatrist can eliminate the need for more invasive procedures like surgery.
- Abnormal foot structure—Problems including bunions, plantar fasciitis, hammertoes, tendonitis, flat feet, and high arches, can all be treated with orthotic inserts.
- Diabetic foot problems—In combination with specially designed shoes, custom orthotic inserts can help prevent diabetic foot ulcers and other injuries that may lead to infection and amputation.
To get the full benefits out of orthotic inserts, seek the services of an experienced foot care professional for a proper evaluation of your foot structure and movement. At Fit Feet for Life, our team of board-certified podiatrists has access to advanced technologies and years of experience to help diagnose and treat a variety of foot and ankle problems, including heel pain, sports injuries, toe deformities, nail fungus, and plantar warts. Bonnie Sanchez, DPM, and Gregory Cook, DPM, provide high quality foot and ankle care to patients in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area at our five offices conveniently located in Sun City Center, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, and our two Tampa locations. Please contact us for more information or to schedule an appointment.