Orthotic Inserts Treat Many Foot & Ankle Problems
Be sure to select the proper footwear that is sized and fitted to your feet each time you shop for shoes. Stretching before exercise, and regularly inspecting your feet for problems are all great ways to prevent, catch and treat foot and ankle problems even before they start. Once you have the right shoes, orthotic shoe inserts can be expertly inserted by your podiatrist in the key areas of your shoes to support and treat abnormalities in foot structure and to mitigate problems from skin conditions.
How orthotics can help
Some of the many advantages of custom-made orthotics include the following:
1) Pain and pressure relief - The increased cushioning provides relief for many foot conditions including corns, calluses, warts, and tendon problems.
2) Arch support - Correct arch support is one of the most important factors to overall foot health. Proper arch supports and other custom orthotics follow the unique shape of your foot and help treat and prevent a wide variety of conditions including bunions and hammertoes.
3) Preventing falls - Weakened ankles combined with balance and coordination issues can increase the chances of having a life-changing fall that can cause a hip fracture. Orthotic inserts and ankle braces can prevent falls by increasing balance and support.
4) Minimize or prevent injury and infection - Some of the effects of systemic conditions such as diabetes, which causes nerve damage, can be aided by custom orthotics to help prevent injuries and dangerous infections.
5) Surgery postponement - Custom orthotics can treat foot problems without the need to consider surgery until a later date, if at all.
If you would like assistance with shoe choice and custom orthotic inserts, visit your podiatrist right away. At Fit Feet for Life, our team of board-certified podiatrists has access to advanced technologies and years of experience to help diagnose and treat a variety of foot and ankle problems, including heel pain, sports injuries, toe deformities, nail fungus, and plantar warts. Bonnie Sanchez, DPM, and Gregory Cook, DPM, provide high-quality foot and ankle care to patients in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area at our five offices conveniently located in Sun City Center, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, and our two Tampa locations. Please contact us for more information or to schedule an appointment.